DESCRIPTION OF THE SYSTEM
MAIN ASSUME OF THE TIMBER INVENTORY SYSTEM:
- IT software for forestry industry
- Forestry inventory and wood evidence system
- Satellite images for evidence the forest biomass
- Providing reliable information for the buyer who wants to confirm the origin of wood
- Providing reliable information about the harvesting, traders and institutions responsible for the legality of the harvesting process and control chain of custody
- Facilitation for EU institutions and international organizations concerning control of the wood imported on the EU market
- Facilitation for the wood and wood products producers to ensure all interested parties that their products are made from legally harvested wood
- Forestry education and staff training
- All above these information simple just in one system >>>
- Timber Inventory System will support elimination of illegal logging. This means that all TIS users should be certified and system should be closed for unauthorized operators. The database is created on the basis of agreements between the TIS operator and authorized national authorities.
- The system provides three ways of description of harvested and sold timber:
– Paper documentation
– Logs marking
– Trunks marking
– Harvesting data can be printed directly during eld work and included to sale documents.
- The purpose of the system:Registration of activities related to the wood (including harvesting and transport).
- Providing reliable information about the harvesting, also about seller and buyer and institutions responsible for the legality of the process of harvesting (certication) and control of chain of custody.
- The system with a central database and internet solutions (cloud server).
- The system is serviced by TIS Group Poland.
- Access to the system and the data in the system is possible through a web browser.
- The register of field work, harvesting, processing and transport of wood by using mobile devices (users
can work on their smartphones). There is a possibility of registering field work offline without connecting
to the internet – all collected data can be send to the server later.
- Access to the system – registration of users, institutions and organizations
- Flexibility – the possibility of use the system in many ways
- System can be integrated with existing IT solutions used by companies and institutions responsible for
the harvesting, wood processing, selling and transportation of timber there is also a possibility of
connecting through web services with external systems – automatic transfer of information from external
List of activities included in register*:
- Harvesting plan
*list of activities including in register for a domestic system will be prepared in accordance to domestic regulations
Other data t o be register and presented:
- Wood evidence number
- Wood description: species, assortment, dimensions
- Geographic coordinates and forest unit address
- Dates of particular activities
- Institution responsible for permission and/or certication
Functions of applications:
- Mobile applications for a seller
– Registration of harvesting plans, size of wood, permissions number, logging, processing, selling, transportation
– Application work with a barcode scanner
– Application work with an electronic caliper
- Web application for a seller
– Registration of harvesting plans, size of wood, permissions number, logging, processing, selling,
– To the application register can be added scans of paper documents
- Web application for a buyer
– On-line access to all necessary data including: seller name, permissions number, geographic data,
size of wood
3. Satellite technology
In order to confirm the locations of felling cuts, the system will enable the analysis of satellite images.
Sequence analysis of the pictures in the location indicated by the supplier will confirm the size of the
wood surface and the date of execution of cuts.
A time series of freely available satellite images acquired by i.e. Landsat missions and Sentinel will be
collected, pre- processed and stored in the image repository, Collected images will be processed
(geometric and atmospheric correction will be applied), subset, enhanced and converted into the userfriendly
band composite, which will be nally uploaded into the service for quick and simple display by
users. The application will contain a tool /slider that allow users to zoom into the area of interest and
visualize it on different satellite images to track forest changes in time.
Sentinel 2A – monitoring forest changes
Image from satellite Sentinel2A (the smallest imaging element 10 m. Time of revisit 10 days, strip of
imaging 290 km).
⃰ Photos by courtesy of IGIK (Institute of Geodesy and Cartography) 5
Sentinel 2A – mapping of changes – e.g.: wind-broken tree.
Surroundings of Supraśl city after a violent storm 17th of June 2016
Sentinel 2A – mapping of stocking terrain
⃰ Photos by courtesy of IGIK (Institute of Geodesy and Cartography) 6
- Logs and trunks are marked with plastic tags with barcode. Standard tags, Special tags or Big Format. Special tags have special grooves due to which when you try to remove tag, the tag will be damaged. Barcodes on tags provide easy connection between marked wood and data in the system. The solution of special tags is covered by patent. System doesn’t accept the RFID tags or paints – both of them are too easy to change.
- Marking tools. Marking set includes: the hammer with logo on the reverse side, automatic tag holder with ink cartridge and container. This means that each log can be also marked with company logo.
- The basic measuring tool is electronic caliper. This easy to use and economical device is offered in different models: models for measuring standing tree at DBH, laying logs but also models for measuring front of the log. The device which communicates via Bluetooth with smartphone, makes measurements easy and fast. If necessary a small separate barcode scanner can be installed.
- For data registration, barcode scanning, determine the geographical coordinates, taking pictures and transfer data to and from the cloud server should be used a smartphone with TIS application.
5. How does it work?
- Authorized operator downloads the input data on the smartphone and checks them with paper documentation.
- The authorized company (operator) performs harvesting, measurements, register field work data and sends them to the TIS application.
- Authorized operator sends the system the transportation route, conrms and sends data to the cloud server (TIS domestic operator and TIS general operator)
- The delivery is checked again on boards and during transshipment on the same way: the authorized officer download the data from cloud server and check them with existing delivery. Confirmation of receiving the wood is sent by the recipient to the TIS general operator.
TIMBER INVENTORY SYSTEM – BLOCK DIAGRAM
TIMBER INVENTORY SYSTEM – THE CLOUD